GOVERNANCE / BOARD MEMBERS
- Much of this work is new. Board Member candidates need to be willing to learn about applicable laws and non profit best practices and develop new processes and systems.
- Must serve on at least two board committees – Policy Committee, Development Committee, Finance Committee.
- May serve one additional role or be on one team in operations.
- Cannot be a Department Head (large role in operations).
- Cannot be Executive Director (large role in operations).
- Given that 2/3s of their time will be spent on policy, finance or development, this work should excite board candidates.
- About 1/2 of the board members will need to hold a position (President, Treasurer and Finance Committee Chair, Secretary, Policy Committee Chair, Development Committee Chair), so consider your willingness to run for 1 of these positions or step into a role if needed.
- Terms for 2021 elections will be 1 or 2 years, with a maximum of four 2-year terms selected
- Review and develop governing documents for consistency with applicable laws and organizational practices.
- Ability to communicate complex / technical / legal concepts in plain English.
- Enjoy analytical debates of what others might consider a boring topic.
- Develop KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) for the organization.
- Research other non-profit best practices, attend non-profit seminars / conferences.
- Develop and implement a year-round recruitment strategy.
- Ability to read financial statements (income statements, balance sheets, cash flow statements) or willingness to learn.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn about 501 3c non-profit laws and develop fundraising / sponsorship processes that fit within applicable laws.
- Officers and Committee Chairs are authorized to appoint additional Advisors at any time to help with Board projects on a case by case basis. If there is a specific project, committee, or new initiative related to NAIGC Governance that you would like to contribute to, please fill out this Application.